The office in the occupied Palestinian territory has responsibility for inter-agency coordination in complex emergencies and in natural disasters. In the context of the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the occupied Palestinian territory, the OCHA office has a specific responsibility for (a) disseminating information and policies to the humanitarian community, authorities and donors, as well as supporting resource mobilization efforts; (b) assisting in the identification of humanitarian priorities and needs and the coordination of resource mobilization efforts; and (c) disseminating information on the impact of natural disasters, response there to and the need for international assistance.
In order to meet the increased requirements for coordination support, humanitarian advocacy and information, the OCHA office in the occupied Palestinian territory will improve the capacity of Information Management, Advocacy and information dissemination in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, amongst humanitarian partners, local and international media, policy makers, governmental and non-governmental actors. The OCHA team will ensure adequate support to area-based operational coordination structures, sectoral coordination in priority areas such as health and food, security, etc and national level coordination-both operational and policy.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Driver/Logistics Clerk, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to OCHA Staff. The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to the staff at the Gaza sub office, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Under the direct supervision of Senior Driver/Logistics Clerk, the Driver performs the following duties and responsibilities:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services to authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other requested items anywhere within the Gaza Strip.
- Meeting of Official Personnel
- Meet official personnel and visitors at Erez Crossing Point and support crossing and security procedures and baggage formality arrangements when required.
- Proper Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs with OCHA Jerusalem Transportation Unit and others as required, timely changes of oil, checking of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Proper use of vehicle
- Ensures proper use of vehicles through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs and provide inputs to preparation of the office vehicles maintenance plans and reports.
- Availability of documents/supplies
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the Strip, first aid kit and necessary spare parts.
- Other related tasks
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Maintain safe driving and defensive driving practices.
- Ensure strict adherence to the Security Procedures as established by UNDSS in Gaza.
- Assist in the reception duties including photocopying, answering phone calls, use of digital sender, purchase necessary equipment/stationery and maintaining the premises of the office as required.
- Perform any other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Corporate competencies:
Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them.
Ability to persuade others to follow
Takes responsibility for and ensures high quality of own work
- People Management
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Understands personal and team roles, responsibilities and objectives
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Reliably and consistently listens and interprets information and instruction correctly
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Meets goals and timelines for team deliverables
- Technical/Functional competencies:
- Learning and Development
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Carry out work, as directed, and demonstrate motivation to develop.
- Security & Safety
- Knowledge of the UN Security Management System (UNSMS) and UNOCHA's role in addressing security issues.
- Ability to provide adequate response to security incidents/events.
- Team Building
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
- Learning and Development
High school Diploma.
Two years of work experience as a driver. Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair is an asset. UN Experience is an asset
Working knowledge of English Language and Fluency in Arabic Language
Valid Driver’s License. Commercial driving license is required.
How to apply:
To start the application process, applicants are required to apply via OCHA oPt’s vacancies website by registering their profile and completing OCHA Personal History Form (P11). Only applications received through https://www.ochaopt.org/vacancies which should include an up to-date and complete P11 will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for OCHA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 22 October 2019
Applications received after this date will not be considered.
Women are encouraged to apply