Deadline for Applications: 03 April 2020
Contract type & Duration Fixed-term appointment of 3 years including 1 year probation period, with the possibility of further extension, subject to the availability of funds, satisfactory performance and continuing need of the post.
Vacancy Announcement Number VN/WB/026/2020/X
Duty Station & Department Area Office Jerusalem– Amari Camp– Administration
The main responsibilities include:
In accordance with established Agency policy and procedures, the incumbent:
- Under the supervision of CAO, represents the Agency at the camp level and the surrounding community area, as required; liaises with government authorities at the local level, including municipalities, local Internal Security Forces, local Army forces, as applicable, local refugee community representatives and humanitarian organizations and NGOs during briefings and meetings to ensure effective control and continuity of services including those related to solid waste collection in the camps as well as other issues of interest to the Agency; supports approved delegation visits to the camp, including when requested by the Director of Communications or the field director, organizing and briefing donors, journalists and other stakeholders and may randomly act as interpreter in such visits if required.
- Supports all programmes; organizes and participates in meetings with Area Programme Officers in the assigned camp on a regular basis to discuss problems and challenges and suggest plans and possible courses of action; coordinates with key staff, including but not limited to Area Programme Officers, Heads of installations in the camp and Social Workers, as well as local community representatives and NGOs to discuss issues of mutual concern, address problems and report to CAO accordingly; intervenes to find solutions for disputes among refugees including those related to solid waste collection issues; assists in and advises on the integration of programmes and support service activities; where necessary, takes corrective measures within his/her authority as outlined by her/his supervisor; may be authorized to participate in or lead committees in the community.
- Acts as Security and Safety focal point for the assigned camp and community area and identifies, analyses and timely reports to CAO and Field Security and Risk Management (FSRM) staff on risks and security incidents and issues affecting UNRWA personnel and installations; ensures that the Community Services Office has an evacuation plan and has basic safety equipment in place; consults with community leaders and other identified relevant actors and/or parties about appropriate community response(s) to security incidents involving Agency personnel, assets and/or installations, including reporting such incidents to the police on behalf of UNRWA where required and ensuring measures to prevent security incidents from re-occurring.
- Monitors the camp's environment and the surrounding community area and identifies and timely reports to CAO on neutrality violations and protection issues affecting Palestine refugees; follows up to ensure such issues are adequately addressed by Programmes and/or other relevant Departments; in consultation with the CAO, supports and works with Protection and Neutrality (P&N) teams in gathering information, reporting protection and neutrality incidents in a timely manner, setting up meetings with beneficiaries, building relationships between the P&N teams and the community regarding protection and neutrality issues, and implementing and mainstreaming the Agency’s responses regarding protection and neutrality issues, as they arise in the assigned camp/community.
- Plans, directs and manages the activities of the Community Services Office and provides direct supervision to sanitation laborers and foremen at the camp level as well as guards as requested by Area Programme Officers and CAOs; ensures the implementation of Agency and Field Administrative issuances; establishes and implements monitoring and reporting mechanisms to systematically assess progress and quality of services and the achievement of results including guard force, social services; closely monitors attendance of school attendants who work inside camps and follows up on their work during school vacations; as a member of the Area Management Team, contributes to planning, operating and controlling administrative, finance, supply, distribution, transport, personnel, and building maintenance at the Area level.
- Responsible for effective communication within the assigned camp and community area; works with UNRWA programmes and communications department to disseminate information about relevant UNRWA programming and initiatives to residents and beneficiaries with a view to developing and executing appropriate public information interventions to increase/promote awareness, image and visibility of the Agency across the camp and community area; maintains Agency records, follows up and reports on petitions, claims and applications with beneficiaries, area office and other entities in the community area; maintains and updates lists of recipients of UNRWA services in the community; as applicable, provides eligibility and registration services to refugees living inside camp including collecting documents and issuing of registration cards and processes hospitalization transactions submitted by refugees.
- Act as Emergency Preparedness and Response focal point for the assigned camp and community area, and under the direction and supervision of CAO, manages the Agency’s emergency preparedness and response activities within the assigned camp and community area; contributes to various written outputs such as plans, concept of operations, standard operating procedures and situation reports.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor(s).
Conditions of service
Monthly basic salary USD 1592.6, payable in JD at UN monthly exchange rate. Other benefits include:
- Provident Fund contribution (15.2% of basic salary paid by the Agency).
- Dependency allowances (if applicable).
- 30 days of annual leave.
- Compulsory medical insurance.
To qualify for this position, you will need:
- Education A university degree in business administration, law, development, human science or any related field.
- Work experience At least five years’ experience in humanitarian, community or social development, preferably with UN agencies or international NGOs. Proven understanding of humanitarian and political challenges facing Palestine refugees in the field of operations.
- Language(s) Very good command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
You will also need to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Strong management and facilitation skills.
- Proven ability to develop and lead teams, build consensus and facilitate change and solutions among both UNRWA and community stakeholders
- Strong communication, coordination and negotiation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven skills in applying participatory and client-focused approach.
- Effective planning and decision-making skills.
- Strong problem-solving and crisis management skills. Ability to effectively advocate and represent the interests of UNRWA with relevant stakeholders.
- Solid knowledge of camp conditions and refugee issues.
- Sound commitment to UNRWA’s Ethics and Values.
- Resident of the camp or neighboring area.
Equivalency: Candidates with an equivalent combination of relevant academic qualifications, professional training and progressive work experience may also be considered if there will not be enough qualified candidates.
For guidance on how to prepare for competency-based interviews:
How to apply:
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.unrwa.ps by creating a personal profile and completing UNRWA Personal History Form. Only applications received through http://jobs.unrwa.ps will be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNRWA vacancies, only applicants short-listed for interview will be contacted.