Youth Empowerment Center (YEC) is a Palestinian non-governmental non-profit organization, working to support the development of Palestinian youth; to lead children & adolescents to discover their purposes, while promoting positive change in the community through psychosocial support, hygiene promotion and advocacy programs.
The project, ‘Improving access to WASH services for fragile families in the eastern area of Gaza governorate’ funded by United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA-oPt HF) and implemented in partnership with Oxfam and Youth Empowerment Center (YEC).The project aims to improve the WASH facilities for fragile households who live in the eastern areas of Gaza Governorate (El Shijaiaa, Al Zaitoun and El Tofah ) to ensure adequate access to WASH services.
Purpose of Assignment:
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director and Project Technical Coordinator, The Field Engineer will be responsible to deliver and accomplish the construction and/or rehabilitation of WASH facilities at home level in compliance with the project’s goals and objectives. She/he is in charge of the day to day management and supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures. She/he is furthermore accountable for providing technical assistance to the project team.
Duration of services: 9 months
Start Date: 20/12/2019
Level of effort: Full time job 100%. The working week is Sunday to Thursday.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Follow up the project field activities (construction/maintenance of WASH facilities at homes level) and ensure compliance with the quality and accountability standards.
- Follow up the technical assessment for the needed maintenance/rehabilitation works.
- Supervise the team who will conduct the technical engineering assessment that will be started as soon as the beneficiaries are identified
- Elaborate tender’s documents including the BoQ’s and general and specific technical specifications.
- Conduct daily site supervision for the construction and maintenance works to ensure compliance with agreed specifications.
- Ensure well documentation of the site activities (maintenance/rehabilitation activities).
- Arrange weekly and monthly reports on the progress of the field activities.
- Prepare daily site inspection report to WASH project coordinator of YEC.
- Working with the stakeholder’s and beneficiaries of the project with a high level of the behavior’s skills.
- Focusing on the work quality of the proposed project, granting to the high-level specifications required.
- Execute any other related tasks required by the direct supervisor.
- Submit progress reports on regular basis (weekly basis) including references to achievement, obstacles faced and solutions taken to overcome them.
- Act as the main Technical Adviser to the Contractor and supervise the maintenance and rehabilitation works.
- Manage, monitor, interpret and explain the drawings and design documents supplied by the concerned technical assessment team
- Maintain constant coordination between the Contractor and Executive Director or his assigned official(s).
- Maintain constant liaison with the Contractor and their representatives (Engineers and assistant), including attending regular meetings to ensure the pace of work progress.
- Survey the maintenance sites at households and ensure that rehabilitation activities are carried out within demarcated land boundary and protect the site from external encroachment
- Ensure that the construction, upgrading and maintenance activities are carried out according to the plans, designs and drawings and ascertain accuracy of the qualities, quantities and proportions of the materials are precisely maintained.
- Ensure that all materials used and works performed are in accordance with the specifications indicated in the contract document.
- Review and agree on the quantity, quality and cost of the materials used for rehabilitation and upgrading of WASH facilities by the Contractor.
- Ensure that the works timely progress in order to meet agreed deadlines.
- Oversee quality control, health and safety matters of workers on the maintenance site.
- Prepare various narratives, technical and financial reports as required.
- Resolve any unforeseen technical difficulties and other problems that may arise in the process of the work in consultation with the Executive Director and Technical Project Coordinator.
- Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision tools are developed and implemented.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers.
- Support the Supply section in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction and consultancy services.
- Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
- Manage project budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Ensure a sound handing over of facilities to project beneficiaries.
Education and Knowledge:
- At minimum a Bachelor's degree in civil engineering from any reputed public university.
- Learned about the Minimum of WASH sector.
- Knowing about the protection principles and gender mainstreaming.
- Learned about Inclusion People with Disabilities in WASH interventions.
Essential Experiences and Competencies:
- Minimum 3 years practical working experience in civil construction and maintenance in national/ international company, organization, CBOs, municipalities and WASH stakeholders.
- Experience in civil construction and maintenance work under WASH sector.
- At least 2 years of experience in construction management.
- At least 2 years of experience in similar projects (WASH projects).
- Demonstrated experience in data collection and analysis and reports writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Organized, reliable attention to details and ability to work independently when needed.
- Excellent communication skills and inter-personal skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners and donors.
- Ability to operate under pressure, meet deadlines, prioritize workload and multi-task.
- Mature work practices, extremely motivated and exhibit sound judgment.
- Good reporting skills in both English & Arabic.
- Advanced computer literacy.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Practices the principles of fair treatment and no harm.
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems in the field with partners, local committees and beneficiaries.
- Understands time and cost implications of decisions and has the ability to prioritize and identify critical issues.
- very good writing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies.
- Interacts effectively with colleagues and partners
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
- Participate effectively in team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others
- Takes initiative and solves anticipated and real problems.
Candidates with experience in the mentioned fields are encouraged to apply for this position, Cover letter and curriculum vitae CV in English are to be submitted by email to (email@example.com)
Please ensure that you state the title of the post that you are applying for as subject of your email "Field Engineer".
Deadline for submission: Saturday 7th December 2019 12:00 PM .