Data Scientist Expert, HQ Gaza (Local)
UNRWA has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC) that aims to enhance livelihood and human development opportunities to Palestine refugees in Gaza. By this new collaboration, UNRWA becomes a provider of Information Management, Technology services and capacity augmentation to UNICC technical team, on a cost recovery basis through IMTD/IT Service Center (ITSC) in HQ-Gaza.
United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC) is a UN agency that provides IT services to other UN agencies on a cost recovery basis.
UNRWA Information Management and Technology Department (IMTD) is seeking an – Senior Expert Data Scientist who will provide expert advice which can be done remotely, and to engage on the use of big data analytics in general.
This is an opportunity to make a big impact and get lots of ownership. We are looking for someone who thrives in the very early stages of a project and is self-driven.
The consultant will report administratively to Head Information Technology Service Centre at Headquarter Gaza and technically to United Nations International Computing Center (UNICC).
Description of Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the work of the technical teams and giving advice to data analytics teams.
- Formulation of documents about work strategies and exchange of knowledge through different teams of data analytics.
- Think strategically about the uses of data and how new digital data sources can contribute to driving efficiency across the development and humanitarian sector.
- Play a vital role collaborating cross-functional Agile team to create and enhance data ingestion pipelines and address big data challenges.
- Will work closely with the Chief Architect, systems engineers, software engineers, and data scientists on the following key tasks:
- Provide Extraction, Transformation, and Load (ETL) experience coupled with enterprise search capabilities to solve Big Data challenges.
- Design and implement high-volume data ingestion and streaming pipelines using Open Source frameworks like Apache Spark, Flink, Nifi, and Kafka on AWS Cloud.
- Leverage strategic and analytical skills to understand and solve customer and business centric questions.
- Create prototypes and proofs of concept for iterative development
- Learn new technologies and apply the knowledge in production systems
Monitor and troubleshoot performance issues on the enterprise data pipelines and the data lake.
- Partner with various teams to define and execute data acquisition, transformation, processing and make data actionable for operational and analytics initiatives
- Collaborate with other team leaders regarding data science strategies.
- Provide reports about model performance to end users.
- Tuning existing models, if needed.
- Collaboration with Risk Management to resolve outstanding issues and support documentation quickly and efficiently as required.
minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Advance university degree, from an accredited educational institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data science or business intelligence or other related disciplines.
- Information system architectures, policymaking, and program management.
- Proven experience developing, building, and maintaining a business units and teams.
- Extensive technical expertise D3js, Plotly,leafletjs, mapboxjs, knowledge of R or Python programming languages as well as Tableau and PowerBI, advanced DB knowledge, complex queries from different data sources ( including SQL and NoSql databases)
- Knowledge of Machine learning and statistical models
- Good analytical techniques such as text mining, sentiment analysis, machine learning, predictive analysis, event detection, or modeling of complex systems articles.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Drive to results and deliver against multiple priorities on time.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; verbal and written.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability in working with different teams.
- Entrepreneurial thinking” or “Creating and innovating”.
- PhD university degree from an accredited educational institution in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related discipline
- A strong conflict resolving strategies, and the ability to work with teams under fast-paced timelines and provide creative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience-presenting work to both technical and non-technical audience.
- Experience analyzing data from social monitoring systems, monitoring and evaluation work, or other survey work in developing countries and scientific writing.
- Experience in Agile and DevOps project management.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
- The duration of the consultancy is 6 to 11 months, extendable according to performance and availability of funds.
- Remuneration for this consultancy will be at an hourly rate of $25 USD per hour, with estimation of 100 hours per month and will be on deliverable basis.
- The consultant will be based in Gaza.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV or UN Personal History Form demonstrating clearly the knowledge and experience required to meet the consultancy requirements via email@example.com indicating the title of this consultancy “Senior Expert Data Scientist” in the subject line of the message. The deadline for the submission of applications is 30 November 2020.
UNRWA is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from both women and men. UNRWA encourages applications from qualified women. Only those applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted. UNRWA is a non-smoking environment.